No Cy Young for Chris Sale
The southpaw's been great, but Verlander and Felix have more value
The Chicago White Sox hold a one-game lead over the Detroit Tigers in an up-for-grabs AL Central division. The finale of the three-game weekend series in Detroit pits respective aces Chris Sale and Justin Verlander against one another on "Sunday Night Baseball."
Sale has been a major reason the White Sox have held the division lead for this long, leading to speculation that he could dethrone Verlander -- the 2011 AL Cy Young award winner -- by winning pitching's top award this season.
While the 23-year-old lefty has turned in a fantastic season -- especially considering it's his first in the starting rotation -- his award prospects should be tempered.
The Cy Young race isn't a two-man battle to begin with, but even if it was, Sale wouldn't be an equal to Verlander.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Agent: Lester didn't tell Sox contract terms
- Jeter passes Yaz for seventh on MLB hits list
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB on ESPN.com
- Majestic Youth Detroit Tigers Justin Verlander #35 Orange T-Shirt