No Cy Young for Chris Sale
The southpaw's been great, but Verlander and Felix have more value
- Getty ImagesChris Sale has had an exceptional season, but Justin Verlander is a better Cy Young candidate.
The Chicago White Sox hold a one-game lead over the Detroit Tigers in an up-for-grabs AL Central division. The finale of the three-game weekend series in Detroit pits respective aces Chris Sale and Justin Verlander against one another on "Sunday Night Baseball."
Sale has been a major reason the White Sox have held the division lead for this long, leading to speculation that he could dethrone Verlander -- the 2011 AL Cy Young award winner -- by winning pitching's top award this season.
While the 23-year-old lefty has turned in a fantastic season -- especially considering it's his first in the starting rotation -- his award prospects should be tempered.
The Cy Young race isn't a two-man battle to begin with, but even if it was, Sale wouldn't be an equal to Verlander.
To read why Chris Sale is behind in the AL Cy Young race, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yanks' Tanaka makes start, gives up homer
- Jobe, pioneer of Tommy John surgery, dies
- Phillies' Hamels to rest arm another week
- Manny, not ready to retire, hoping to get call
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB on ESPN.com
- Majestic Men's Authentic Detroit Tigers Justin Verlander #35 Cool Base Home White On-Field Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog