Impact of Melky suspension
Cabrera's 50-game absence a boon to Dodgers' odds in NL West race
Last month, a rumor was passed around about a player testing positive for drug use and being suspended for 50 games. Unlike most rumors flying around the Twitterverse, this one made it to mass media, creating a minor firestorm and a handful of headaches. The player involved? Melky Cabrera.
This afternoon, another story hit the airwaves, this one better sourced than the one above. Melky Cabrera had tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone in his blood, triggering the 50-game suspension for a first-time violator of MLB's drug testing agreement with the players' association.
For a full breakdown of how Melky Cabrera's suspension affects the NL playoff race, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB on ESPN.com
- Majestic Men's San Francisco Giants Double Climate On-Field Black Jacket