How travel costs the Mariners
Key scheduling factors that will impact the 2014 standings
While Clayton Kershaw's back injury kept that storyline in the news for another week or so, much of the talk surrounding the impact of travel has died down. It shouldn't.
Every year, the disparity of miles traveled has an impact on the standings, and there are certain teams that are most affected, such as the Seattle Mariners and the clubs in the NL Central and AL East.
Seattle, for example, kicks off a four-game series in Texas tonight before heading to Miami for three before flying back to Seattle for a series with Houston. There is not a single day off in there, and that's a continuation of a trend from the past few years.
Mariners get a raw deal
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Headley wins it in 14th of debut with Yanks
- Schoop's 2-run HR helps O's beat Angels
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Lincecum posts first save as Giants need 14
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Safeco Field Street Sign