It's a miracle ... '04 Red Sox, Joe D. top the list
Originally Published: October 22, 2007By Rob Neyer | ESPN.com
What constitutes a miracle? Leaving theology aside for the moment -- or rather, forever, at least in this space -- a baseball miracle is anything that would, if depicted in a movie, require a serious suspension of belief. Coming up with a list of such miracles isn't actually so difficult; baseball history is loaded with events we simply wouldn't believe if we didn't have a great deal of documentary evidence. Ranking them, though? That's not so easy, and in the end must be a completely subjective exercise. At least in this space ...
10. Philadelphia A's, 1929 World SeriesIn Game 4, the Athletics trailed the Cubs 8-0 in the seventh inning. Then the floodgates opened. Cubs manager Joe McCarthy did everything he could, but nothing worked. The A's sent 15 men to the plate and scored 10 runs on their way to a 10-8 victory. Which was miraculous enough. But two days later in Game 5, the A's clinched the Series with a 3-2 win, all three runs coming in the bottom of the ninth inning.
9. 1986 New York MetsIn Game 6 of the World Series, the Mets trailed 5-3 in the bottom of the 10th inning. With two outs and nobody on base, the Mets were just one out away from elimination ... and the Red Sox were just one out away from winning their first World Series since 1918. Miraculously, the Mets rallied for three runs, the last of which scored when Mookie Wilson's groundball snuck between Bill Buckner's wickets (and of course the Mets won Game 7, delaying Boston's gratification for another 18 years).
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Halladay retiring Monday as Jay
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- MLB denied A's move to San Jose in June
- Schilling replacing Hershiser in ESPN booth
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Colorado Rockies Classic Frozen Rope Baseball Necklace