Getting ahead has helped Weaver excel
Both of today's starting pitchers, the Cardinals' Jeff Weaver and the Tigers' Kenny Rogers, have been excellent in the postseason. Here are a few reasons why:
• Weaver getting outs in key counts: The most interesting thing to watch with Weaver tonight might be his performance on certain counts -- specifically, 1-0, 0-2, and 1-2. In the 20 playoff at-bats that ended on one of those counts, Weaver did not allow a single hit.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tigers' Price tosses 1-hitter, but loses to Rays
- Angels' Richards suffers 'significant' injury
- McCarthy 4-hits Astros as Yanks avoid sweep
- Giants win appeal, will finish game vs. Cubs