It's anyone's series in NL
It's anyone's series in the NL, but Bartolo Colon's absence is still enough to give Chicago the AL edge.
In the case of the White Sox, if they'd lost the first two games, they'd have been faced with the prospect of traveling to Orange County for three games, and needing to win twice to stay alive when the most likely outcome would have been two wins for the Angels and the ALCS never even returning to Chicago for a Game 6.
In the case of the Astros, being down by two games wouldn't have been all that far from being down by three games. Why? Because they're going to be serious underdogs in Game 4. Here are the pitching matchups for the rest of the NLCS, along with each starter's place in the National League's ERA rankings:
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Houston Astros Team-Colored Frozen Rope Bracelet