Orioles must lean on their bullpen
In a one-game playoff, O's relievers might be better option than starter
- Rob Carr/Getty ImagesWith Jim Johnson and the bullpen, should the O's yank their starter after one inning?
A Baltimore Orioles fan might put money on the O's to win their wild-card play-in game against the Texas Rangers on Friday night, but a betting man wouldn't, at least with even odds. Then again, by now the betting man might have already gone broke backing Baltimore's opponents.
The Orioles have spent the whole season surprising people. First, they flouted the expectation that they couldn't compete in the AL East, then the near-certainty that they couldn't sustain their early-season success (or, for that matter, their success later in the season). To reach the American League Division Series, they'll have to have one more surprise in store.
To read more about why the Orioles should rely on their bullpen in a one-game playoff, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yanks' Tanaka makes start, gives up homer
- Jobe, pioneer of Tommy John surgery, dies
- Padres' Maybin to avoid surgery on biceps
- Phillies' Hamels to rest arm another week
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Baltimore Orioles Matt Wieters Black T-Shirt
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog