MLB Confidential: Overturn Joyce's blown call?
Question: Should Bud Selig have overturned the result of the Galarraga near-perfect game?
Overturning Galarraga's near-perfect game
Not sure: 1%
Not sure: 2%
In the biggest slam-dunk of the survey, 86 of 100 said no way. And some said it louder than others. "As a pitcher, it was heartbreaking to see that," one NL starter said. "But the call had to be overturned on the field, not in the front office." A player from the same team -- also a pitcher -- disagreed with his clubmate. "Do it," he answered. "It was a perfect game. Reverse it, so Galarraga can get his credit and Jim Joyce can get his sleep."
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Cano thanks N.Y., finalizes big Mariners deal
- Rule 5 pick Nieto on Biogenesis clinic list
- Source: Joba, Tigers agree on 1-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
After Jim Joyce's blown call at first base cost Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game, MLB umpires came under harsh scrutiny. To test the current climate of player-umpire relations, ESPN The Magazine grilled 100 MLBers about the boys in blue. Here's what we found:
1. Who are the three best umpires in baseball?
2. Who are the three worst umpires in baseball?
3. Which umpire has the quickest hook?
4. Grade the overall performance of umpires, "A" through "F."
5. Should there be replay on base calls?
6. Should there be replay on fair/foul calls?
7. Should Bud Selig have overturned the result of the Galarraga near-perfect game?