MLB Confidential: Replay on base calls?
Question: Should there by replay on base calls?
Replay on base calls
One AL outfielder made the typical case for reviewing plays on the bases. "You have the technology to get it right," he said. "Even if it takes a few minutes, that's what fans, players and coaches want. Have a guy in the booth watching, and buzz an umpire if they need to look at it again." But that outfielder was in the minority. Most hated the idea. Said one NL reliever: "No instant replay, period. It's a game of close plays, and once they get going, where will it end? We'll be staring at screens the whole time."
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kemp joins Padres after trade clears hurdles
- Royals reportedly ink Volquez; Medlen signed
- Source: Giants give Peavy two years, $24M
- A's deal All-Star catcher Norris to San Diego
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
After Jim Joyce's blown call at first base cost Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game, MLB umpires came under harsh scrutiny. To test the current climate of player-umpire relations, ESPN The Magazine grilled 100 MLBers about the boys in blue. Here's what we found:
1. Who are the three best umpires in baseball?
2. Who are the three worst umpires in baseball?
3. Which umpire has the quickest hook?
4. Grade the overall performance of umpires, "A" through "F."
5. Should there be replay on base calls?
6. Should there be replay on fair/foul calls?
7. Should Bud Selig have overturned the result of the Galarraga near-perfect game?