Elias says for Sunday, May 22
Originally Published: May 22, 2005By Elias Sports Bureau, Inc.
• Pedro Martinez was removed after seven innings with the Mets leading 3-1. It was already the third time this season that Martinez left a game as the pitcher of record on the winning side only to see the Mets' bullpen squander his victory. The Red Sox's bullpen blew only two potential Martinez victories during the entire 2004 season. Martinez threw 30 pitches in the first inning. Over the last six seasons, Martinez has one win and 11 no-decisions in 12 starts in which he threw 25 or more pitches in the first inning. • How desperate was Joe Torre to win the rubber match of the three-game series against the Mets? After taking the lead in the top of the eighth inning, Torre reshuffled his infield, inserting Tino Martinez at first base and Russ Johnson at third and moving Rey Sanchez from shortstop to second and Alex Rodriguez from third base to shortstop. It was the first time since September 1991 -- and only the third time in 3,514 regular-season and postseason games as a major-league manager -- that Torre changed all four infielders in the same inning.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Caffeine free: Nats P tweets out comped java
- Braves, reliever Grilli agree to 2-year deal
- MLB average salary makes 12.78 percent jump
- Report: Braves, C Pierzynski agree to deal