Who's next to 3,000 hits?
Projecting some prominent players' chances of reaching the elusive milestone
Well, Derek Jeter finally got his 3,000th hit. The last few turned out to be the most difficult, with a trip to the disabled list turning the last leg of Jeter's chase into a marathon.
While people confidently project the end of the 300-game winner, nobody thinks the 3,000-hit club is nearing extinction. So, who's next? The ZiPS projection system has eight players with at least a 1 percent chance and five with at least a 10 percent chance of collecting their 3,000th hit over the next eight years.
To see the projected chances of reaching 3,000 hits for the likes of Vlad, Ichiro, A-Rod, Miguel Cabrera and Starlin Castro -- as well as Jeter's chances of getting to 4,000 -- become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
- Cards' Wainwright gets majors-best 13th win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider MLB Content
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees Mark Teixeira #25 Road Grey Jersey