To be the best in October, you have to beat the best all summer long
- Getty ImagesThe Phillies won it all in 2008, and they are in good position to do it again in 2010.
"My s--- doesn't work in the postseason." That's how A's GM Billy Beane once famously explained why his Moneyball tactics fail in the fall. So what does work? In attempting to predict MLB playoff winners, analysts have tried to find out which stats correlate with postseason success. But here's an easier way: Find the team that has proved it can crush weaker opponents ... then bet against it. Why? Because clubs that play well against the elite during the regular season do better in the postseason than teams that beat up on also-rans.
To find out why the Phillies are a good bet to go back to the World Series, you need to be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards 3B Carpenter signs $52 million deal
- Royals name Shields as Opening Day starter
- Cardinals' Garcia to see Dr. Andrews again
- No extra replay in place for Australia games
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN The Magazine: October 18, 2010
Check out ESPN The Magazine's October 18, 2010 issue -- the Body Issue -- below.
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees Roger Maris #9 White Cooperstown Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog