Missing Chipper Jones
Without its star third baseman, Atlanta is on the verge of missing the playoffs
The Philadelphia Phillies are no strangers to a September standings comeback -- this season is the third time in four years they captured first place in the National League East during the season's final month. Conversely, the Atlanta Braves are not at all familiar with a late-season choke. The latest a Bobby Cox-managed Braves team previously relinquished its lead was May 15.
It is unfortunate that Cox's final campaign will be marred by relinquishing a lead that stood at seven games July 22 and still a somewhat comfortable three games Sept. 1.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tigers outlast Angels for Scherzer's 12th win
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Ortiz (back) questionable for Price rematch
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Atlanta Braves Evan Gattis #24 Cool Base Alternate Red On-Field Jersey