How the 40-man roster compromises the pennant races
- Getty ImagesDugout a little crowded? Must be September.
THE AIR WAS a brisk 64 degrees on the South Side of Chicago last Sept. 4. The White Sox were seven games out and clinging for dear life in the AL Central; they were hosting the Red Sox, who were in a tight wild-card race with the Rangers. Yet based on the way the game was managed, the only clue that this was something more than a meandering, meaningless spring training game was the temperature.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- 'Intrigued' Skeeters invite McGrady to camp
- Cubs' Castro OK to resume baseball activity
- Pirates send phenom Taillon to minors camp
- Team's bacon gear selling at a sizzling rate
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN The Magazine: September 20, 2010
Check out the content from ESPN The Magazine's September 20, 2010 issue -- the List Issue -- below.
- Antigua Women's Los Angeles Angels Dark Red Xtra-Lite Pique Performance Polo
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog