The benefits of Roy Oswalt
He's a big upgrade over Jamie Moyer; add health and the Phillies are quite alive
On the morning of July 22, Baseball Prospectus' playoff odds for the Philadelphia Phillies hovered just above 10 percent; now, with mid-August approaching, their odds are a little better than 46 percent.
The 2009 Phillies won Baseball Prospectus' Dick Martin award for the healthiest team in baseball; the story of the 2010 edition has been the exact opposite: Philadelphia has lost stars Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Shane Victorino to injury.
With just over 50 games to play, the question remains: Can the Phillies get Roy Halladay to the postseason for the first time and become the first team since the 1942-44 Cardinals to win three consecutive NL pennants?
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Price, Rays prevail with rally over Red Sox
- Davis homers in 10th as Orioles edge Mariners
- Lester: I'd re-sign with Sox even if traded
- Puig, Dodgers go on triple spree, rout Giants
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider MLB Content
- Atlanta Braves Runner Floor Mat