Some pitchers want their own catcher. Does it make a difference?
- Getty ImagesJorge Posada (left) and A.J. Burnett are trying to work through their differences.
This story appears in the May 3 issue of ESPN The Magazine.
Last October, manager Joe Girardi caused a stir when he had Jose Molina (and not starter Jorge Posada) catch A.J. Burnett in Game 2 of the World Series. But who could blame Girardi? On the season, Burnett had a 3.28 ERA with Molina behind the plate, and a 4.96 ERA with Posada.So the question is: Are personal catchers a good idea?
To find out what the stats say about the catcher's affect on ERA, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards 3B Carpenter signs $52 million deal
- Royals name Shields as Opening Day starter
- Cardinals' Garcia to see Dr. Andrews again
- No extra replay in place for Australia games
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN The Magazine: May 3, 2010 Issue
Check out all the content from ESPN The Magazine's May 3, 2010 issue. Where noted, the content is for ESPN Insiders.
May 3, 2010 Issue
- Majestic Women's New York Yankees Derek Jeter #2 Navy T-Shirt
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog