Some pitchers want their own catcher. Does it make a difference?
This story appears in the May 3 issue of ESPN The Magazine.
Last October, manager Joe Girardi caused a stir when he had Jose Molina (and not starter Jorge Posada) catch A.J. Burnett in Game 2 of the World Series. But who could blame Girardi? On the season, Burnett had a 3.28 ERA with Molina behind the plate, and a 4.96 ERA with Posada.So the question is: Are personal catchers a good idea?
To find out what the stats say about the catcher's affect on ERA, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN The Magazine: May 3, 2010 Issue
Check out all the content from ESPN The Magazine's May 3, 2010 issue. Where noted, the content is for ESPN Insiders.
May 3, 2010 Issue
- Majestic Men's New York Yankees Babe Ruth #3 White Cooperstown Jersey