BP Daily: Zito's early 2009 resurgence
Is the Giants' left-hander's improved performance legitimate or a fluke?
Before Barry Zito ever threw a pitch for the San Francisco Giants, it was widely believed he would never match the expectations created by his massive contract. The past two seasons, though, were underwhelming even by those who anticipated the worst: He posted a career-worst ERA in consecutive seasons. It wasn't just a matter of bad luck, as they also happen to be two of his three worst seasons according to Fielding Independent Pitching, or FIP.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
- Cards' Wainwright gets majors-best 13th win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
BASEBALL PROSPECTUS ON ESPN INSIDER
Baseball Prospectus brings its unique brand of baseball analysis to ESPN Insider.
Week of Sept. 7
Week of Aug. 31
Week of Aug. 24
Week of Aug. 17
Week of Aug. 10
Week of Aug. 3
- '47 Brand Women's San Francisco Giants Breakers Black Scoop Neck Long Sleeve Shirt