BP Daily: Zito's early 2009 resurgence
Is the Giants' left-hander's improved performance legitimate or a fluke?
Before Barry Zito ever threw a pitch for the San Francisco Giants, it was widely believed he would never match the expectations created by his massive contract. The past two seasons, though, were underwhelming even by those who anticipated the worst: He posted a career-worst ERA in consecutive seasons. It wasn't just a matter of bad luck, as they also happen to be two of his three worst seasons according to Fielding Independent Pitching, or FIP.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
BASEBALL PROSPECTUS ON ESPN INSIDER
Baseball Prospectus brings its unique brand of baseball analysis to ESPN Insider.
Week of Sept. 7
Week of Aug. 31
Week of Aug. 24
Week of Aug. 17
Week of Aug. 10
Week of Aug. 3
- adidas Youth San Francisco Giants Batter Black climalite Long Sleeve Shirt