30/30: Sox looking for sock
Injuries highlighted holes in veterans' swings
While the Yankees made a splash in the free agent market, the Boston Red Sox largely stood pat during the offseason.
Last year, Boston overcame injuries to several key players to finish the season one game short of the World Series. David Ortiz, Mike Lowell and J.D. Drew each missed at least a month while neither Josh Beckett nor Daisuke Matsuzaka made 30 starts. A return to health in 2009 could be just the infusion that the team needs without adding to the payroll.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Cano thanks N.Y., finalizes big Mariners deal
- Rule 5 pick Nieto on Biogenesis clinic list
- Source: Joba, Tigers agree on 1-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
BASEBALL PREVIEW ON ESPN INSIDER
- Majestic Men's Boston Red Sox Ted Williams #9 Grey Cooperstown Jersey