Mets must manage bullpen better
As the saying goes, those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. With that in mind, Mets general manager Omar Minaya acquired Francisco Rodriguez and J.J. Putz in the offseason to fortify a bullpen that has collapsed in each of the past two Septembers.
If Baseball Prospectus' PECOTA projection system is to be believed, Mets fans surely will reduce their Maalox intake this season. PECOTA's weighted mean projections say Putz will produce a 2.63 ERA in 56 innings -- the fourth-best ERA among relievers this season. K-Rod, with a 2.74 ERA in 62 innings, will rank right behind him.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- Orioles' Machado disappointed by new deal
- Cahill jams knee; Arroyo might be delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Seattle Mariners Clean Up Navy Adjustable Hat