Fans flock to see hometown Tigers
Baseball is finally back in full swing in Detroit, thanks to the resurgent hometown Tigers.
Chris Chelios always times his hits perfectly. The Red Wings defenseman opened his second Cheli's Chili Bar this year, across the street from Comerica Park. Like the Tigers, the place has been rocking all season -- never more so than on a weekend night in late June with the Cardinals in town.
The tent outside holds 200 festive fans, and the waiting list for a table inside is 30 deep. The joint's manager, David Starzyk, darts upstairs and swings open a door to the rooftop bar. The ballpark lights throw the party into relief. Vibrations from the patrons make the beer ripple in the chilled glasses. Starzyk extends his arms into the air and says, "You can feel the game up here!"
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ortiz (back) questionable for Price rematch
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Moss slam backs Samardzija as A's romp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Detroit Tigers Jungle Cat Camo Adjustable Hat