Fans flock to see hometown Tigers
Baseball is finally back in full swing in Detroit, thanks to the resurgent hometown Tigers.
- Editor's note: This story appears in the latest edition of ESPN The Magazine. To subscribe, please click here.'Everything tastes better'
Chris Chelios always times his hits perfectly. The Red Wings defenseman opened his second Cheli's Chili Bar this year, across the street from Comerica Park. Like the Tigers, the place has been rocking all season -- never more so than on a weekend night in late June with the Cardinals in town.
The tent outside holds 200 festive fans, and the waiting list for a table inside is 30 deep. The joint's manager, David Starzyk, darts upstairs and swings open a door to the rooftop bar. The ballpark lights throw the party into relief. Vibrations from the patrons make the beer ripple in the chilled glasses. Starzyk extends his arms into the air and says, "You can feel the game up here!"
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- 'Nervous' Bonds back with Giants in new role
- 'Intrigued' Skeeters invite McGrady to camp
- Cubs' Castro OK to resume baseball activity
- Pirates send phenom Taillon to minors camp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Detroit Tigers Cool Base Home White On-Field Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog