Pena is a defensive liability for Red Sox
• This whole Marlins moving to San Antonio thing doesn't make any sense to me. For one thing, they keep talking about building a new ballpark for $300 million (with the county kicking in two-thirds of that). Really? The new Busch Stadium cost $345 million ... and that's without a roof, which I'm assuming is going to be a requirement in southwest Texas. And for another -- and here's the real problem -- unless my math is wildly off, the San Antonio market simply isn't large enough to support Major League Baseball. According to Nielsen, San Antonio ranks No. 37 in the U.S ... behind (among others) Sacramento, Calif.; Portland, Ore.; Indianapolis; Charlotte, N.C.; Columbus, Ohio; and Salt Lake City. Perhaps it's simplistic to say the Marlins are simply using Bexar County for leverage, but I think that's exactly what they're doing.
• Here's a popular question lately: "Is Chris Shelton for real?"
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mauer only Twin with hit off Tigers' Sanchez
- Granderson fractures pinkie after hit by pitch
- Nats' Zimmermann first in NL to win 8 games
- Dodgers' CEO says Mattingly's job safe for now