Signing Loaiza makes little sense for A's
It's extremely hard to figure out why the A's decided to sign Esteban Loaiza to a three-year, $21 million contract.
Jason Coleman: Rob, am I just missing something on the three-year, $21 million contract the A's gave to Esteban Loaiza? Sure he's an innings-eater, but at what cost in other areas? This century, he's been better than league-average only twice. But one of those years, he was only 5 percent better. Can you justify this contract?
Jason, I'm not even sure if Loaiza deserves to be considered a true eater of innings. Here are his innings (to which you referred) and his ERA+ in the last five seasons:
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Ortiz (back) questionable for Price rematch
- Epstein not thrilled with Cards 'gift' draft pick
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Oakland Athletics Team-Colored Frozen Rope Necklace