Signing Loaiza makes little sense for A's
It's extremely hard to figure out why the A's decided to sign Esteban Loaiza to a three-year, $21 million contract.
Jason Coleman: Rob, am I just missing something on the three-year, $21 million contract the A's gave to Esteban Loaiza? Sure he's an innings-eater, but at what cost in other areas? This century, he's been better than league-average only twice. But one of those years, he was only 5 percent better. Can you justify this contract?
Jason, I'm not even sure if Loaiza deserves to be considered a true eater of innings. Here are his innings (to which you referred) and his ERA+ in the last five seasons:
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Phils' Rollins: No idea why I'm benched
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Pineda in control again, holds Orioles scoreless
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Oakland Athletics Full-Zip Black Discover Jacket