Baseball's 'awash' in money
Look no further than Scott Eyre's new contract.
It might, on its face, seem preposterous for the Cubs, a team without an outfield, to commit $11 million to a 34-year-old relief pitcher with a 4.52 career ERA. As one wag put it, "If Eyre is getting this much, what are Farnsworth and Gordon going to get? This is just crazy. Absolutely crazy."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Chicago Cubs Quarter-Zip Royal Ice Pullover