Baseball's 'awash' in money
Look no further than Scott Eyre's new contract.
It might, on its face, seem preposterous for the Cubs, a team without an outfield, to commit $11 million to a 34-year-old relief pitcher with a 4.52 career ERA. As one wag put it, "If Eyre is getting this much, what are Farnsworth and Gordon going to get? This is just crazy. Absolutely crazy."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Agent: Dodgers don't plan to trade Kemp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Chicago Cubs Heathered Red Speedwick Performance Long Sleeve Shirt