Baseball's 'awash' in money
Look no further than Scott Eyre's new contract.
It might, on its face, seem preposterous for the Cubs, a team without an outfield, to commit $11 million to a 34-year-old relief pitcher with a 4.52 career ERA. As one wag put it, "If Eyre is getting this much, what are Farnsworth and Gordon going to get? This is just crazy. Absolutely crazy."
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Lester, Red Sox table contract negotiations
- Rangers trade Soria to Tigers for prospects
- Epstein not thrilled with Cards 'gift' draft pick
- Don't speak: McGwire done with Canseco
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Franklin Chicago Cubs Jumbo Foam Bat and Ball Set