Perceptions of history are slippery
- Barry Bonds has hit home run No. 715, passing "The Sultan of Swat" and taking sole possession of second place on the all-time list. Now he continues his pursuit of Hank Aaron and No. 756 -- the most important record in professional sports.
Congratulations. Sincerely, congratulations. Frankly, the hysteria displayed by both the fans and the media over Bonds' pursuit of the The Babe's and Hammerin' Hank's magical numbers has been truly revolting.Regardless of what Bonds has done, regardless of whether he cheated to achieve the record, regardless of whatever performance-enhancing drugs he might have ingested or injected, the past few weeks have been as close to a witch hunt as America has seen since Salem, Mass., was a member of the colonial big leagues in the 17th century.AP PhotoHank Aaron also holds the major-league record for RBI (2,297) and was named to 24 All-Star squads.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves' Medlen leaves with strained forearm
- Dodgers' Kershaw, Ryu to start in Australia
- Cardinals sign star Cuban shortstop Diaz
- Reds hopeful Latos can return in first week
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
715: Bonds Passes The Babe
• Gillette: End the witch hunt
• Shea: Bonds puts Babe in rearview mirror
• Kurkjian: Bonds' tumultuous journey to 715
• Bonds hits No. 715 to pass Ruth
• Experts: Barry's chances of catching Aaron?
• Quiz: How well do you know the No. 2 players?
• Rank 'Em: Top 10 HR hitters of all time?
• Fan nabs No. 715 standing in concession line
• 'Witnessing history': Piazza, others react
• Giants' radio call dies as 715 flies
• Chasing Aaron
• Bonds blasts homer No. 715
• Baseball Tonight reacts
• Bonds' press conference
• Fan grabs a piece of history
• Caple: Long way to 755
• Neyer: Nobody can replace The Babe
• Experts: Rating the accomplishment
• Vote: Does Bonds catching Ruth matter?
• Mailbag: Your thoughts on Bonds' 714th
• Stark: We won't forget Ruth
• Caple: "Babe on Babe"
• Crasnick: Super-sized No. 713
• Bonds uncertain about '07
• The Bambino and the media
- Sparo Men's San Francisco Giants Icon Watch
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog