'Advice' from Pujols helped Howard along the way
St. Louis native Ryan Howard topped Cardinals and World Series hero Albert Pujols to win the NL MVP Award.
Cardinals fans, so accustomed to marveling at Albert Pujols each summer, had a stake in watching the baseball writers reward his all-around game with a second straight MVP award. And St. Louis, the town where Ryan Howard was born and raised, took lots of civic pride in his accomplishments with the Philadelphia Phillies.
Howard got a clue how deeply his 58-homer, 149-RBI season resonated with the home folks when he returned to St. Louis in October and caught a couple of World Series games at Busch Stadium.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Albert Pujols Los Angeles Angels Panoramic Photo Mint