'Popular' Washington finally gets his opportunity
Longtime coach Ron Washington finally is given the keys to the big office as the Rangers name him their new manager.
- In a 2005 interview with Sports Illustrated for Kids, Oakland third baseman Eric Chavez reeled off a list of 10 things that he can't live without. Among his favorite things: Oreo cookies, video games, the movie "Gladiator" and his four (now six) Gold Gloves.
That didn't prevent Chavez from giving his third Gold Glove trophy to Oakland coach Ron Washington, the man most responsible for molding a formerly apprehensive fielder into a steel trap at third base. Chavez presented it with the inscription, "Not without you, Wash."
Oakland general manager Billy Beane calls Washington "arguably the most popular coach we've had since I've been here," which covers a span of 18 years. So it was no surprise that when Texas hired Washington as its new manager, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels and assistant GM Thad Levine received a flood of calls and e-mails from baseball operatives telling them they'd made an inspired choice.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards 3B Carpenter signs $52 million deal
- Mattingly says OF Kemp is close to return
- Royals name Shields as Opening Day starter
- Cardinals' Garcia to see Dr. Andrews again
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Oakland Athletics Scrum Charcoal Long Sleeve Shirt
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog