Hillenbrand's actions are nothing new
Originally Published: July 20, 2006By Jerry Crasnick | ESPN Insider
This isn't the first time things have ended badly for Shea Hillenbrand. Three years ago, when the Boston Red Sox signed Bill Mueller to play third base, Hillenbrand was credited with one of the greatest send-me-packing lines in memory.
"They don't know what they have with me," Hillenbrand reportedly said. "If they get rid of me, they'll know what they have. You've heard of Jeff Bagwell?"
Hillenbrand denied the quote, and also pleaded not guilty of using the Ozzie Guillen-Jay Mariotti homosexual slur toward Boston general manager Theo Epstein in a subsequent radio interview. Funny how some athletes just have a penchant for getting misconstrued.
Ron Scheffler-US PRESSWIRELoose cannon: Shea Hillenbrand has become adept at wearing out his welcome.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards deal for Masterson to bolster pitching
- Scratched Lester at Fenway amid rumors
- Presidential farewell: Jeter honored by Bush
- Kluber tosses 3-hitter to outduel King Felix
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Toronto Blue Jays Rogers Centre Infield Dirt Coin Photo Mint