Closers Papelbon, Ray finding early success
While April performance is no guarantee of future results, it's still encouraging. Jerry Crasnick gives us eight players off to impressive starts.
"It's early," said an American League scout. "We've played one-tenth of the schedule. You should never judge a player in spring training or September, and you never judge a team in April."
So what do we make of numbers in the first three weeks? Does Brandon Phillips' fast start in Cincinnati mean that he's finally arrived, or that opponents have yet to expose his flaws? Does Manny Ramirez's early power outage mean he's due for a huge May and June, or mentally disengaged?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
- Cards' Wainwright gets majors-best 13th win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Baltimore Orioles Quarter-Zip Silver Ice Pullover