Any life left in these old bats?
Just days before the '06 HOF election results are announced, several active players with Cooperstown credentials are still looking for work, writes Jerry Crasnick.
The list of job seekers includes the usual array of characters. There are Scott Boras clients (Jeff Weaver and Julian Tavarez), recent non-tenders (Josh Fogg), lefty lifers (Buddy Groom) and spare-part veterans (Carlos Baerga, Jose Offerman and Daryle Ward) in search of just the right fit.
There was a time when the game's biggest names spent the month of January monitoring their stock portfolios and polishing their golf swings. No more. They've joined the ranks of the baseball proletariat.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Mets pitching coach apologizes for Asian slur
- Brewers' Garza confident despite 19.06 ERA
- Tulowitzki hit by pitch on leg, is day to day
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- American Needle Men's Baltimore Orioles New Raglin Black Adjustable Hat