Hunsicker brings credibility to Tampa
Friedman and club president Matt Silverman, 29, are bound to invite skepticism from the old guard that's growing tired of front-office whiz kids. If the Hunsicker hiring shows anything, it's that they're smart enough to realize they don't know everything.
Hunsicker, who led the Astros to a 701-595 record and four National League Central titles as general manager, arrives in Tampa in a sort of mentor/adviser/sounding board role. Can he work effectively with Friedman? There's a fine line between a mentor helping to cultivate a protégé and smothering him (for evidence, check out the Larry Lucchino-Theo Epstein rift in Boston). But you wonder whether Paul DePodesta would have benefited from a similar front-office veteran to help him through the rough times in Los Angeles.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Tampa Bay Rays Fan Half Sleeve V-Neck Navy Shirt