Blue Jays need Santana or Jimenez
Toronto's rotation needs help if the Jays seriously hope to make playoffs
- Getty ImagesJimenez and Santana have received only moderate interest due to draft-pick compensation.The Toronto Blue Jays have to sign a pitcher. It's not a question of desire. They're short a starting pitcher, maybe two.
Roughly 40 percent of all pitchers who pitched last year will hit the DL at some point in 2014. That means every rotation in baseball -- in your average year -- needs at least six pitchers. Seven pitchers is a better plan, in case one of those DL stints is longer than most. If you're the Blue Jays and coming off two straight years of losing more time to pitcher injuries than most of baseball -- and still hope to contend -- you might want to go eight deep.
Currently, the spots for Nos. 3-8 in the Blue Jays' rotation are manned by Brandon Morrow, J.A. Happ, Esmil Rogers, Todd Redmond, Kyle Drabek and Drew Hutchison, in some order. That group averaged just over 60 innings in the big leagues last season. For a roster that looks to be built for the now, it's a grim group of pitchers.
Of course, two potentially elite starting pitchers are available on the free-agent market: Ervin Santana and Ubaldo Jimenez, and the Blue Jays must make sure at least one of them is toeing the rubber in the Rogers Centre by summer.
To see why the Blue Jays must sign Ervin Santana or Ubaldo Jimenez, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- 'Intrigued' Skeeters invite McGrady to camp
- Cubs' Castro OK to resume baseball activity
- Pirates send phenom Taillon to minors camp
- Team's bacon gear selling at a sizzling rate
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
After a terrible season a year ago, Dan Uggla is eyeing a turnaround in 2014.
- Majestic Men's Replica Cleveland Indians Ubaldo Jimenez #30 Home White Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog