David Price is overrated
He's very good, but buyer beware before they trade the farm
In spite of all of that, teams would be wise to keep in mind that he is not nearly as his good as his numbers suggest.
A pitcher's ERA is, of course, affected by his environment -- including his catcher's ability to frame pitches, the range of the defenders behind him, the strength of the batters he faces and the dimensions and prevailing weather conditions of his home park. Price -- as well as the rest of the Rays pitching staff -- gets a big boost as a result, and we can quantify it.
To see what makes David Price so overrated, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- 'Nervous' Bonds back with Giants in new role
- 'Intrigued' Skeeters invite McGrady to camp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
Carlos Santana is making every effort to become the Indians' third baseman.
- Majestic Men's Replica Tampa Bay Rays David Price #14 Alternate Navy Jersey