David Price is overrated
He's very good, but buyer beware before they trade the farm
In spite of all of that, teams would be wise to keep in mind that he is not nearly as his good as his numbers suggest.
A pitcher's ERA is, of course, affected by his environment -- including his catcher's ability to frame pitches, the range of the defenders behind him, the strength of the batters he faces and the dimensions and prevailing weather conditions of his home park. Price -- as well as the rest of the Rays pitching staff -- gets a big boost as a result, and we can quantify it.
To see what makes David Price so overrated, become an Insider today.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
- Indians recall Salazar to start against Twins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Cubs are at the top of Keith Law's list of the top five minor league farm systems.
- Majestic Men's Authentic Tampa Bay Rays David Price #14 Cool Base Home White On-Field Jersey