David Price is overrated
He's very good, but buyer beware before they trade the farm
In spite of all of that, teams would be wise to keep in mind that he is not nearly as his good as his numbers suggest.
A pitcher's ERA is, of course, affected by his environment -- including his catcher's ability to frame pitches, the range of the defenders behind him, the strength of the batters he faces and the dimensions and prevailing weather conditions of his home park. Price -- as well as the rest of the Rays pitching staff -- gets a big boost as a result, and we can quantify it.
To see what makes David Price so overrated, become an Insider today.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
Jon Lester has moved to the top of the list of players who could soon get traded.
- Majestic Men's Authentic Tampa Bay Rays David Price #14 Cool Base Home White On-Field Jersey