Brewers should shop Ryan Braun
Forget PEDs, dealing the 2011 MVP would revitalize a stagnant franchise
- Mike McGinnis/Getty ImagesRyan Braun could bring back a lot of talent for a team in desperate need of it.When rumors circulated last week that the Milwaukee Brewers might consider trading left fielder Ryan Braun, it generated a ton of interest around the sport. After all, this year's free-agent market is largely devoid of top-level offensive thump other than Robinson Cano, and an elite hitter like Braun would fit nicely into the lineup of nearly every contending team in baseball.
Milwaukee general manager Doug Melvin quickly shot down the rumors and further defused the talk by discussing the potential of moving Braun to right field next year.
So while it seems the Brewers might not have any plans to move him, I would argue that they should reconsider that stance.
This has little to do with Braun's performance-enhancing drug troubles, though that's certainly a part of the story. It has a whole lot more to do with the fact that Braun turned 30 last week and plays for a team that has gone from 66 to 79 to 88 losses in the past three years and is stuck in a division that had three 2013 playoff teams and a Chicago organization that's maybe only a year away from seeing its crop of highly touted prospect bats start to arrive.
To see why it makes sense for the Brewers to trade Ryan Braun, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards 3B Carpenter signs $52 million deal
- Mattingly says OF Kemp is close to return
- Royals name Shields as Opening Day starter
- Cardinals' Garcia to see Dr. Andrews again
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
Shortstop Hanley Ramirez has become an indispensable cog in the Dodgers' lineup.
- Majestic Youth Replica Milwaukee Brewers Ryan Braun #8 Home White Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog