Biggest holes left to fill
Yankees, Tigers and Phillies among contenders with major issues
- Joy R. Absalon/US PresswireAlex Rodriguez will be out for much of 2013, and the Yankees don't have a viable replacement.
Although this year's winter meetings were regarded as relatively slow, only seven teams checked out of the Opryland without making some sort of move. While Zack Greinke and Josh Hamilton remain at large and Dan Haren was the highest-ranked free agent removed from the market, many clubs found ways to fill holes during the four-day event. But even though the most eventful week of the winter is over, it's still fairly early in the offseason, and a number of teams left Nashville with help wanted at one or more positions.
Here are six winning teams from 2012 that will have to plug major holes before Opening Day to return to contention in 2013:
New York Yankees: Half a lineup
For the full list of the biggest holes left to fill, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- 'Nervous' Bonds back with Giants in new role
- 'Intrigued' Skeeters invite McGrady to camp
- Cano gets 3 hits in Mariners' loss to Royals
- Braves' Beachy leaves with elbow tightness
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's New York Yankees White/Navy Crush T-Shirt
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog