Three scenarios for Albert Pujols
The rumor mill is already churning; here are three ways this could play out
- Getty ImagesIf Albert Pujols doesn't sign by the end of spring training, his situation will consume numerous 2011 headlines.
With the recent revelation that Albert Pujols will not negotiate a new contract during the season, the rumor mill is already turning with possible scenarios for the St. Louis Cardinals first baseman if he doesn't reach a new deal before spring training.
The three most likely scenarios to consider when analyzing the situation are fairly obvious: Either he re-signs with St. Louis, gets traded in July, or signs elsewhere next winter. When we break down these possibilities one by one it's easy to envision some pretty intriguing situations, such as Pujols ending up with the Cards' long-time divisional rivals, or peppering the Green Monster with line drives well into the next decade.
For the full take here, you must be an Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards 3B Carpenter signs $52 million deal
- Royals name Shields as Opening Day starter
- Cardinals' Garcia to see Dr. Andrews again
- No extra replay in place for Australia games
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider MLB Content
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Los Angeles Angels Albert Pujols Red T-Shirt
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog