Zito the last nine-figure domino to fall
Take Barry Zito's new deal with San Francisco. Even baseball executives who are home this week bonding with their families must have felt compelled to turn up the volume when news reports began popping up on car radios and television news crawls.
Zito is a fine pitcher, as evidenced by his Cy Young Award, 102-63 career record and consistent workloads in Oakland. He leads the majors with 208 starts since 2001 and ranks third behind Livan Hernandez and Mark Buehrle with 1,337 innings pitched during that span.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica San Francisco Giants Buster Posey #28 Alternate Orange Jersey