Character + talent = the ideal player
When contemplating whether to pursue a player, a team shouldn't overlook his character.
Originally Published: May 24, 2005By Steve Phillips | ESPN Insider
Character is an important factor for anyone. In baseball, it's definitely important. In baseball, character is referred to as makeup. It encompasses those things that make a player who he is on the field and off of the field. It doesn't relate to a player's talent level, only his personality. Every individual player has his own makeup, but teams also have their own character. It's the combination of the character of each member of the team. Some teams are greater than the sum of their parts, while some are equal to or less than that sum.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's 2014 All-Star Game Masahiro Tanaka #19 American League Batting Practice Jersey