Character + talent = the ideal player
When contemplating whether to pursue a player, a team shouldn't overlook his character.
Originally Published: May 24, 2005By Steve Phillips | ESPN Insider
Character is an important factor for anyone. In baseball, it's definitely important. In baseball, character is referred to as makeup. It encompasses those things that make a player who he is on the field and off of the field. It doesn't relate to a player's talent level, only his personality. Every individual player has his own makeup, but teams also have their own character. It's the combination of the character of each member of the team. Some teams are greater than the sum of their parts, while some are equal to or less than that sum.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Kansas City Royals League Diva Royal/Light Blue Fashion Top