K-Rod made a splash for Angels in '02
The valuable September call-up is a rarer creature than you might guess.
Essentially, if management thinks a player can make a real difference in September, they'll usually summon him from the minor leagues before Sept. 1, because they know he'll be eligible for postseason play, and anyway, why wait until the rosters expand?
I went back to 1970 and found only three players who 1) debuted between Sept. 1 and Sept. 10, 2) earned significant playing time, and 3) played a big role for a team that earned, or nearly earned, a postseason berth. (And since three players aren't enough for a whole column, below you'll also find a couple of players who don't quite meet those criteria.)
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tigers outlast Angels for Scherzer's 12th win
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Ortiz (back) questionable for Price rematch
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Boston Red Sox Bergen 5-Panel Navy Adjustable Hat