Phils thrust themselves into playoff chase
Considered an afterthought for much of this season, the Phillies are now a viable postseason contender.
- PHILADELPHIA -- Two Phillies team buses were driving south on Interstate 5 in southern California late Thursday night when Charlie Manuel felt a gnawing sensation in the pit of his stomach. That's a common affliction among big-league managers, who are conditioned to replay decisions in their heads with full knowledge that newspaper columnists and radio talk-show callers will be second-guessing right behind them.
But this time the pangs hit closer to home.
"We're going to pull over here soon, son," Manuel told Greg Casterioto, the team's media relations representative. "I'm hungry."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards 3B Carpenter signs $52 million deal
- Royals name Shields as Opening Day starter
- Cardinals' Garcia to see Dr. Andrews again
- No extra replay in place for Australia games
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Philadelphia Phillies Cole Hamels #35 Red T-Shirt
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog