'Balance' key to a productive lineup
Braves manager Bobby Cox shows how he constructs a lineup.
Originally Published: July 8, 2005By Bobby Cox as told to Jerry Crasnick | ESPN Insider
Bobby Cox won his first division title in Atlanta in 1991 with an Opening Day lineup that included Deion Sanders as the leadoff hitter, David Justice in the cleanup spot and Rafael Belliard batting eighth. Cox has pocketed 12 additional titles, and for the most part, it rarely seems to matter which players are hitting where. This season, the Braves rank third in the National League in runs scored and are contending for a playoff berth despite the prolonged absence of Chipper Jones and a reliance on several rookies because of a barrage of injuries. Cox shared his thoughts on the challenges of making a lineup with ESPN Insider.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Lester, Red Sox table contract negotiations
- Rangers trade Soria to Tigers for prospects
- Epstein not thrilled with Cards 'gift' draft pick
- Don't speak: McGwire done with Canseco
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Atlanta Braves True Snapback Navy Adjustable Hat