Summer blockbuster unlikely
All four of those afterthoughts will be "sellers" at the deadline, which guarantees Aubrey Huff, Wily Mo Pena, Preston Wilson and Mike Sweeney will be Rumor Central fixtures between now and the end of July.
With the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and other contenders in terminal "buy" mode, that leaves a significant contingent of teams in the middle. They take comfort in Houston's 36-10 run last year as evidence that it pays to wait before you bail on the season. Yet how many teams can reasonably expect to go 36-10 down the stretch?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tigers outlast Angels for Scherzer's 12th win
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Ortiz (back) questionable for Price rematch
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Seattle Mariners Navy Dri-FIT Logo Legend Authentic Performance T-Shirt