Summer blockbuster unlikely
All four of those afterthoughts will be "sellers" at the deadline, which guarantees Aubrey Huff, Wily Mo Pena, Preston Wilson and Mike Sweeney will be Rumor Central fixtures between now and the end of July.
With the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and other contenders in terminal "buy" mode, that leaves a significant contingent of teams in the middle. They take comfort in Houston's 36-10 run last year as evidence that it pays to wait before you bail on the season. Yet how many teams can reasonably expect to go 36-10 down the stretch?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Sources: Tigers close to deal with OF Davis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Chicago Cubs Team-Colored Frozen Rope Necklace