Phillies armed for playoff chase
Famous for some memorably dreadful left coast trips in recent years, the Phillies had just completed a short but sweet West Coast swing Sunday in which they won five of six against the Dodgers and Padres. The fans in South Philly and South Jersey took due notice. More than 7,600 walk-up tickets were sold for Monday's game (more than 9,000 counting Internet sales), a record in the brief history of Citizen's Bank Park.
Not much to shout about? Maybe so, but in a tough sports town, where brotherly love can often be hard to come by if you're on a losing team, any degree of dogged optimism in the dog days of mid-August is welcome.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tigers outlast Angels for Scherzer's 12th win
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Ortiz (back) questionable for Price rematch
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Philadelphia Phillies Chase Utley #28 Home White Jersey