Phillies armed for playoff chase
Famous for some memorably dreadful left coast trips in recent years, the Phillies had just completed a short but sweet West Coast swing Sunday in which they won five of six against the Dodgers and Padres. The fans in South Philly and South Jersey took due notice. More than 7,600 walk-up tickets were sold for Monday's game (more than 9,000 counting Internet sales), a record in the brief history of Citizen's Bank Park.
Not much to shout about? Maybe so, but in a tough sports town, where brotherly love can often be hard to come by if you're on a losing team, any degree of dogged optimism in the dog days of mid-August is welcome.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- Orioles' Machado disappointed by new deal
- Cahill jams knee; Arroyo might be delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Franklin Philadelphia Phillies Jumbo Foam Bat and Ball Set