Roberts-Tejada approaching middle-infield greatness
Originally Published: July 12, 2005By David Schoenfield | ESPN.com
What kind of season is Brian Roberts having? The Orioles' second baseman is second in the American League in OPS (on-base percentage + slugging percentage). Since World War II, only two middle infielders have led their league in OPS -- Reds second baseman Joe Morgan in 1975 and 1976 and Brewers shortstop Robin Yount in 1982. What kind of season is Miguel Tejada having? A year after becoming only the third middle infielder ever with at least 150 RBI (Vern Stephens and Rogers Hornsby are the others), the Orioles' shortstop is on pace to establish career highs in batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Manny Machado Baltimore Orioles Triple Play Photo Display