Freshman Impact: Louisville
Can Louisville's newcomers help the Cardinals defend their title?
For the "Freshman Impact" series, Insider's college basketball and recruiting experts will be teaming up to examine how 15 of the nation's best recruiting classes will fit in with their teams in the 2013-14 season.
In this edition, John Gasaway and Adam Finkelstein look at the Louisville Cardinals. For links to the rest of the articles, click here.
John: Louisville is the defending national champion, but coach Rick Pitino will defend that title without Gorgui Dieng and Peyton Siva. How about it, Adam: Are the Cardinals adding enough new talent to offset their losses?
Adam: Pitino certainly has installed a nice pipeline to Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy, I'll give him that. Assistant Kevin Keatts joined Louisville in 2011 after coaching Hargrave to a 262-17 record in 10 seasons. Luke Hancock and Montrezl Harrell are Hargrave products, as are incoming freshmen Terry Rozier and Anton Gill. Defending a title is tough (ask Kentucky), but the Cardinals won't be overmatched by too many opponents in 2013-14 when it comes to talent.
John: Let's start with Rozier and junior college transfer Chris Jones. What are we going to see from the point guard position this season?
To read more about the role Louisville's freshmen will play this season, become an Insider today.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UW dismisses Upshaw for violating team rules
- Unbeatens Kentucky, Virginia still atop AP poll
- Hoosiers' Crean: Davis won't play this season
- Wichita St. guard arrested on suspicion of DUI
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game