Picking winners for 2014 bracket
Using Lunardi's first bracket to project potential surprises, Final Four teams
Just a few short weeks ago, the brackets for the 2013 tournament were announced, I made my picks, and I, along with a lot of other people, at least got the national champion Louisville Cardinals correct in advance. Since I'm clearly on a roll here, I've decided to go ahead and get my picks on the record for the 2014 tournament. Why wait until the last minute, right?
My colleague Joe Lunardi has been so kind as to lay out the 2014 field of 68 for us already. Based on Joe's projections, here's how I see the tournament unfolding next year, with my potential surprise team, potential disappointing team and pick to win in each region (plus my national title pick at the end).
Surprise: Colorado Buffaloes
After the early exit against Illinois in this year's field of 68, Tad Boyle's team will rebound and make a deep tournament run in 2014. With the exception of Sabatino Chen, the entire CU rotation returns intact, meaning continued strong defense from a group that held Pac-12 opponents to just 0.96 points per trip this past season.
To read John Gasaway's full list of potential surprises, disappointments and Final Four teams from Joe Lunardi's first projected bracket for 2014, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Seton Hall loses Whitehead to stress fracture
- UNLV pulls upset to ruin No. 3 Arizona's run
- Stanford knocks off No. 9 Texas in overtime
- No. 11 Shockers escape Hawaii with putback
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game