Bilas Index: UK tops 2013-14 edition
Monster recruits put Wildcats atop best 25 teams heading into next season
The ridiculous reliability of The Bilas Index almost rendered the 2012-13 college basketball season irrelevant. The Bilas Index, which combines all of the best features of the most reliable metrics in the game with the raw and awesome power of The Bilastrator's incomparable basketball mind, has pinpoint accuracy. Simply put, it's never wrong, and the entire landscape of the game is put into context and simplified by The Bilastrator. Case in point, prior to the 2013 NCAA tournament, The Bilas Index tapped Louisville as the best team in college basketball. Notwithstanding the ups and downs of the Cardinals, you're welcome.
Still, it was good that the 2013 NCAA tournament was played anyway so the NCAA could earn some badly-needed cash. Paying for all those mascots and "spirit squads" for graduated athletes on job interviews would have been a challenge without it. Of this, The Bilastrator is certain.
While The Bilas Index usually makes use of analytics such as KenPom.com, the Sagarin Ratings, the UPS Team Performance Index, ESPN's Basketball Power Index, and many of the most subtle metrics in the game kept meticulously by The Bilastrator's minions, this prescient, perceptive and hyper-clairvoyant "look ahead" to the 2013-14 season is based primarily upon The Bilastrator's massive brain and unparalleled basketball expertise and knowledge.
Even without the metrics as a baseline of on-court accomplishment, The Bilastrator's basketball mind and experience can serve to predict the upcoming basketball season, much like Nostradamus predicted the future in his quatrains (except The Bilastrator's predictions are far more accurate). As always, you're welcome.
1. Kentucky Wildcats
The Wildcats will take their NIT disappointment out on the rest of the field with the nation's top recruiting class and some very confident returnees. John Calipari's incoming class is ridiculous, with Julius Randle, James Young, Dakari Johnson and Andrew and Aaron Harrison. This Kentucky team will be the first in basketball history where players declared for the NBA draft because they feared they couldn't play on their college team if they came back.
To see the rest of Jay Bilas' ranking of the top 25 teams entering next season, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Duke ends with 16-5 run, hands UVa 1st loss
- No. 10 L'ville erases 18-point hole, beats UNC
- No. 3 Gonzaga tops Memphis for 15th in row
- Robinson's heroics help Pitt topple No. 8 ND
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game