Why Gators are nation's best team
UF is the real No. 1, but how often do the best regular-season teams win it all?
I have good news for the Florida Gators. From the opening of the season in November through to the conference tournaments being played this weekend, the Gators have performed at a higher level than any other team in the country. On a per-possession basis, the UF offense has been outstanding, and the defense in Gainesville has been even better. Billy Donovan's team rates as No. 1 in Ken Pomeroy rankings, and in Jeff Sagarin's "Predictor" metric, two rating systems of note. Lastly, Florida outscored the SEC by a higher per-possession margin than any major-conference team has recorded in the past six seasons. Take a bow, Coach.
Part of Florida's excellent performance has come from simple good fortune. SEC opponents shot just 27 percent on their 3-pointers against the Gators, and, while Scottie Wilbekin is an excellent perimeter defender, a number that low likely says more about fortuitous bounces than it does about defense. Nevertheless, this would be an outstanding D even if opponents had made a "normal" number of shots from beyond the arc. And with Erik Murphy hitting shots from both sides of the arc and Patric Young converting paint touches into points, UF has proven to be a remarkably efficient unit on a possession-by-possession basis. Or at least that's how it looks from my chair.
How is it that I could be labeling a team as the best in the country when it isn't even in the top 10 of the polls right now? And what does this title mean for the Gators' chances to win the national championship this season? Let's take a look.
To read John Gasaway's full article on why Florida is the best team in the country this season, and examination of how often the nation's best team wins the NCAA tourney, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Nike Men's Florida Gators Blue Elite Game Jacket