Top conference tourney threats
Tennessee Volunteers, Ole Miss Rebels among teams that could surprise
Conference tournaments often get more headlines than regular-season titles, and it's easy to see why. They are exciting events that bring every team from a single league under one roof, and, almost like a steel cage match in wrestling, only one team emerges as the winner.
But league tournaments mean more to the teams that haven't yet solidified their status for the NCAA tournament. In the power conference leagues, this can mean teams that need to win the whole thing and earn their league's auto bid, or it can be teams that just need to go on a two- or three-game run to earn an at-large berth.
To win games on consecutive nights -- whether it is three, four or five in a row -- is very difficult, and many factors besides talent play an important role in determining a champion. The usual factors of strong guard play, controlling the game on the glass, limiting turnovers and getting big stops with the game on the line all come into play.
I've identified five types of teams that are well-suited to make a run in a major conference tourney, and which specific teams can use those qualities to their advantage and earn their way to the NCAA tournament.
Which teams are well-suited to go deep in their conference tournaments? Become an ESPN Insider and find out.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC's McDonald reinstated; Hairston still out
- Randle-led Stanford upsets No. 10 UConn
- AD backs SIU coach after tirade goes viral
- Laettner's jersey from 'The Shot' at auction
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game
- Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Basketball Practice Performance T-Shirt