Why Georgetown will beat Syracuse
Picking ATS winners for Saturday's big games, including Orange-Hoyas
Since its 18-1 start, Syracuse can only be described as a mediocre team. The Orange's power ratings -- the mathematical formulas that bookmakers use to set opening lines -- include all of those early-season victories. Here in Vegas, Jim Boeheim's squad is still considered to be one of the dozen best teams in the country. Frankly, I don't buy that argument about a team that has lost six of 11 games, with four of its five victories during that span coming against teams that aren't going to the Big Dance.
The Orange have struggled repeatedly against Georgetown in recent meetings, including an 11-point home loss to the Hoyas last month. Syracuse couldn't contain Otto Porter in that contest (33 points, eight rebounds and five steals) and shot only 34 percent from the floor with 16 turnovers. Since the Hoyas are coming off a bad loss at Villanova, and the Big East title is on the line, I expect them to bounce back strong.
The ATS pick: Georgetown
To read all of Teddy Covers' against-the-spread picks for Saturday's biggest games, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Gibbs beats buzzer as Seton Hall stuns Nova
- KU edges Okla. St. in OT behind Wiggins' 30
- Hogs' NCAA hopes take hit with SEC ouster
- Illini bounce Indiana from Big Ten tourney
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game